What is RAIN RFID ?
RAIN RFID is a wireless technology that connects billions of everyday items to the internet, enabling businesses and consumers to identify, locate, authenticate, and engage each item.
RAIN RFID Technology:
RAIN RFID is a global alliance promoting the universal adoption of UHF RFID technology in a way similar to other wireless technology organizations including NFC Forum, WiFi Alliance and Bluetooth SIG. RAIN uses the GS1 UHF Gen2 protocol which ISO/IEC has standardized as 18000-63. The word RAIN—an acronym derived from RAdio frequency IdentificatioN—is intended as a nod to the link between UHF RFID and the cloud, where RFID-based data can be stored, managed and shared via the Internet. A RAIN RFID solution uses a reader to read and write a tagged item, manage the data and take action.
RAIN RFID Tags:
• Are either attached to or embedded in items
• Tagged items store and send information
• Thousands can be identified simultaneously and do not have to be visible
RAIN RFID Readers:
• Have antenna(s) for either short or long range communication
• Can be small and portable, or larger and installed, or embedded in other devices
RAIN RFID Software applications:
• Identify – Locate – Authenticate – Engage
• Use the tags and readers to create, collect, and use the item’s data – locally, or on a server, or on a cloud
• Authentication starts with determining an item is genuine
• Engage can involve sensors, or other means of interacting with the item